Ray's Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Friday, January 08, 2010

    Daniel's Fast Day 8

    Last night was rough - my wife and I hosted a Young Adult Group and she asked me to go to Edgewater and pickup four large pizzas. Oh the smell was killing me on the way home and then I had to watch as young adults devoured them. At least they ate a salad with me beforehand. Lol.

    This morning I felt loads better than the last three days. I was more alert and focused. I slept a normal time frame and was up to shovel snow off our driveway so the ladies in my family could get to work and play (my day off). After making sure the fire was going good - I headed to the gym at church to play basketball with some other clergy. We had a small group because of the snow and delayed openings, but we had a good two hour work out. It felt really good.

    Back home now, working on Sunday's sermon - I know - my day off - but I lost almost all of yesterday to the lack of focus - so I have some work to do.

    Today I was taken to 2 Samuel and I was reading about David fasting when he got sad news. I wonder, do we turn to God during these sad times. When Saul and Jonathan and the armies of Israel died, David mourned and fasted as a response. To honor them and to get right with God.

    2 Samuel 1:11-12 - 11 Then David and all the men with him took hold of their clothes and tore them. 12 They mourned and wept and fasted till evening for Saul and his son Jonathan, and for the army of the Lord and the house of Israel, because they had fallen by the sword.

    We have dear friends who are facing death. How many of us have been fasting - seeking the Lord's face - for our friends? How many will if they perish? Is fasting a lost spiritual principle? Have we lost the desire to deny ourselves - seeking the Lord? Are we so self centered that denying ourselves is the last thing on our minds? I wonder...

    Thank you to those who have been praying for me... I felt them!

    1 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    This entire Fast challenge and reading of these items, has me asking these general questions/insights: Any responses are welcome! Certainly as has been preached and bible versus stated aren't going to be debated, Truth IS Truth. But, (when at least to food consumption,etc ), for those of us many out there,who daily limit and restrict food intake and overindulge, though this may not be a True Fast, I think in some ways it is an attempt to "not give into self". Therefore, I support many who want to fast and those times of seasons/needs to Fast for personal reasons. But I will then suggest, if after fasting, if one then quickly reverts back to intaking bad toxins and overindulgences how purposeful was the actual period of Fasting? Not hating here, just raising a questions. Though training and actual running of a marathon is all important, keeping on a daily life-long balance has great value too. I think many times in life, many get very "caught up" in the moment or if you will "the next big thing" versus simply attempting to maintain a daily resourceful enduring purpose. Again this is being said in being supportative to all who do Fasting or seeking to experience God at a potential deeper level. Press on!