Ray's Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Tuesday, January 12, 2010

    Daniel's Fast Day 12 Part II

    I'm sitting in the Food Court at the Bowie Town Center - trying to find my focus! I'm praying and reading the Bible, feeding my spirit (after some vegetables and water to feed the body).

    As I was reading I opened to a favorite book - the Book of James - Christ's brother. I came across that famous passage at the beginning of that book.

    James 1:2-4 - 2 Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3 because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. 4 Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

    That is what I seek after - to not lack anything. I want all that God has for me - all that He has planned for me - I want to avail myself to God so that God may do all that God plans in me. I do not want to resist in anyway - I do not want to put up a barrier of any kind.

    In order to lack nothing, I persevere. It is through the testing of my faith that perseverance comes - so I celebrate the trials that come my way today - knowing that as God carries me through them, I will be that much closer to perseverance which leads to lacking nothing!

    Are you having a rough day? Are you having a hard time staying on task? Are you facing a loss of work or a deadline that seems hard to meet? Are you facing a troublesome marriage or child? Are you dealing with health issues? Are you facing the death of a loved one? Does life seem unfair to you at the moment? If these or anything like these - know that God can carry you through this time and as you arrive on the other side - you will be that much closer to lacking nothing! Celebrate what God is doing and going to do in you, even if it is a tough place to be right now.

    James 1:2-4 - 2 Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3 because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. 4 Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

    God, keep me focused on Your plan - Your will for me today.

    3 comments:

    Holly Crosley said...

    Thanks so much for this post! Today has been a very difficult day for me, not only with food,as I have given up a couple things for the fast, but with the challenges of my 2 year old! I am praying for God to change me and speak to my heart this week in how to change me to a more patient, kind, and gentle mother, wife and woman. This post helps so much! I know it's not instant and I can not put a time frame on God. He will continue to work in me and in spite of me always, not just this week because I am fasting. Thank you so much for this post. It came at just the right time!

    Ray McDonald said...

    Someone sent me an e-mail - I include it here without name for encouragement.

    This is my favorite passage in the Bible. This is what gets me though the trials and tribulations in my life. And we have had a few of those this year.

    For my fast I asked God what he would have me give up, something that He felt was too important to me. I did not get an answer. Or maybe there were too many things to list. So I have chosen to give up food, both solid and liquid...everything! I have decided to start by giving up everything and wait for Him to tell me what I can put back in my life. On Monday I was allowed to put back coffee after a day of drinking water. Wow what a blessing coffee is. When I took that first sip it hit me as never before and I yelled "thank you Jesus!" On Monday I asked what else can I have, no answer. On Tuesday I asked again and my answer was in James 1:12 "Blessed is the man who perseveres under trail..." I took this as stop wining. So as I start my 4th day of water and coffee (flavored water) it has taught me how many blessing God has given us that we do not appreciate. A simple thing like coffee is such a wonderful thing God has created. I can't wait to try another of his fruits...wow I wonder what juice would taste like now? Probably better than it has ever tasted before and I know I will thank God for the awesome gift of juice.

    I have fasted many times, without food, but this is the first to this extreme, this is by far the less stressful as I give up everything and ask God to provide what I need, and when it is best to allow me to have it back in my life.


    Praise God for all who are praying and fasting this week.

    Anonymous said...

    I have the same kind or reaction to technology. As we know it is not grown and didn't come direct from the Lord's hand like food per-say but to do with out it makes my thoughts drift towards the things of God. Today i heard about the earthquake in Hatti from my mother and my first reaction was to pray were before it would have been "well turn the TV on so I can see". Now I see with my heart, spirit, and soul. Man that sounds weird and not to manly but it is the truth. I can see how we are blessed through and with technology but how the noise of it can dampen the voice and leading of the spirit. Thank you God. I am Listening.