Ray's Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Saturday, January 16, 2010

    Daniel's Fast Day 16

    Day 16 began very early - at 5:30 am I was at my desk working on Sunday's sermon. It isn't flowing very well and I would appreciate your prayers.

    Most of the things we do are in light of something. We are a product of our environment by-in-large. What has happened in our life helps to shape us. For the good or bad. We are not slaves to what has happened in the past. We can rebuke the bad and strive to live in the light of Christ. God can forgive the sins of our youth, the sins of the past, and by His grace we can move forward in Christ.

    When a message doesn't flow, some times I think it is because I have something blocking God from speaking to my heart. So I have spent some time this morning confessing and repenting of my sins. Someone prayed for me this week - that a yoke sin or burden would be removed from around my neck - and I have been praying the same thing.

    The fast seems natural now, I have less than a week left in my 21 day fast. There is still the occasional urge for a Diet Pepsi, a ham sandwich on rye, or a bowl of ice cream (any flavor). One of my prayer during the fast is that this will be a new way of eating even after the fast - with a shrunken stomach that requires less to satisfy it. My weight was one of my sins - a miss use of the temple of God. I pray that I have a gained spiritual control over the physical hunger and sinfulness that reigned before this fast.

    Last night I shared with the congregation gathered that unity has been my key thought through the fast. Yet I believe God has so much more for me/us. It might be that after I have shown spiritual control over some physical aspects of my life, God will speak.

    In Isaiah 58, the prophet writes about fasting. He gives a how not to and a how to and after he has taught about fasting he writes these words:

    Isaiah 58:9a - Then you will call, and the Lord will answer; you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I.

    The implication I get from this passage - in its context - is that after the fast, after showing our love for God by showing spiritual control over the physical in our lives, God will speak with us. Then is a word that means after what is before - then. So I look forward to the weeks and months after the 21 day fast for God to continue to speak to me and to Mt. Oak now that our week long fast is over.

    Listen to God and share what He tells you!
    NIV

    0 comments: